Thursday, February 21, 2013

Is it really necessary?


Middle school was a horrible time for me, as well as for many people I know.  Everyone is different and unique, but middle school is not the place to be different.  Growing up I did not deal with the thoughts and feelings inside that many GLBT students do, but my differences were on the outside – right out in the open.  I was an early bloomer.  I had horrid acne (on my face, neck, back, arms, etc.) and filled out my shirt quite well.  These were even more obvious when we had swim class everyday for a whole marking period.  I was made fun of and harassed by students at school and on the bus.  Many days I came home crying and did not want to leave my room.  The horrible things other kids said would just run through my mind and I felt that no one cared about me.  After a while, even my “friends” joined forces with the other kids.  I tried to make new friends, but no friends stuck.  I felt so alone.  I didn’t even want to go to school anymore.  My parents knew a little bit, but I did not feel that anyone could stop what was happening.  Of course, none of the horrible things were said in front of other adults; so, how could they stop it?

As Burns states, “Teen bullying and suicide has reached an epidemic in our country. Especially among gay and lesbian youth, those perceived to be gay, or kids who are just different.”  I was bullied just because I was different.  Because I was a kid going through puberty.  I feel that bullying has gone on in schools for decades, but it is different than it used to be.  Maybe kids said things, but the abuse was more physical.  When my parents were in school, kids got slammed into lockers and they got beat up in the parking lot.  Someone might be called a “nerd,” but that was the extent of the verbal harassing.  Although it has continued through time, the course of action has changed.  I completely disagree with the idiom, “sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.”  I feel that it is quite the opposite.  Yes, being physically bullied will hurt, but it is short term.  Bruises scrapes and cuts heal, but words stick stay in your brain.  You hear them being repeated over, and over, and over again in your head.  They do not go away. 

Although I am not a usual Lifetime Channel viewer, someone in my household DVRed "Sexting in Suburbia."  It is a horribly sad story about a girl named Dina whose naked picture went viral after sending it to her boyfriend.  When she commits suicide, her mother begins looking for answers.  She had been taunted and teased from the kids at school and the community.  Yes, even the parents were involved.  The school and staff knew about it, but did nothing to stop it.  When her mother starts digging around she begins receiving threats, break-ins and her daughter's grave is terrorized.  This is reality for others out there.  How can we send these messages that this is okay to our students?  

Many parents do not take bullying seriously, especially when it comes to boys.  I have heard time and time again, “Boys will be boys!”  I had a situation this year where I called a parent because of a boy in my class saying things to and about another child in the classroom.  Although the mother was not happy with her son, she did not see the action as “bullying” or “that big of a deal.”  There are many resources out there for teachers to help aide in bullying prevention.  If parents were aware of why these issues are so important, they would no longer be controversial issues.

The big question is why do we teach?  What is our purpose?  What do we want to accomplish?  I want to provide all students with a safe and secure environment where they feel comfortable and want to learn and make sense of the world around them.  A place where my students are engaged, curious and become members of a community and life-long learners.   Although I have not heard any students refer to each other having AIDS or HIV, as mentioned by Silin’s, I have heard them use slang and other derogatory terms where they did not know the actual meaning, but had just heard it used by others in the media and at home.  “Whether motivated by specific fears and anxieties, or simply the emotional resonance of the word in our culture, their behaviors accurately mimicked the responses of the majority of adults” (Silin, p.247)

Although it is not appropriate to ignore these situations, I do understand why some teachers do not want to get involved in discussing controversial matters in their classrooms.  The charter school I work at only holds year-long contracts, they have to renew your contract at the end of every year to ensure your job for the following school year.  If controversial issues are brought up and it causes uproar with the parents, regardless of teaching ability, you could lose your job at the end of the school year.  In this economy, many people cannot afford to find a new job.  This puts teachers between a rock and a hard place.   But, at the same time, the students are already hearing these things at home, the media, the grocery store, the bus, the playground, etc.  They take the bits and pieces they hear and share them.  It is like the game telephone.  By the time it gets to the end only bits and pieces, if anything, resembles the original message.  Kids may not comprehend everything they hear, but they build their own understanding and create misconceptions.  Why is it not better to ask the children what they know, what they wonder, what they want to know?  Don’t we do this with everything else we teach?  But most importantly, we need students to be able to realize we are there for them, that we can help, that it does get better!
I like the idea of touching on the controversial issues within the content already being taught.  Giving students real situations in history – these provide a great base for critical thinking, while still learning about subject matter.  But I believe, along with others, the stem to many controversial issues is religion.  We live in a free country and we are free to practice any religion we please.  But as teachers, we have to step out of our own shoes, and share many different view points and perspectives and give the students the opportunity to build their own perspective.  This problem arises when the students’ viewpoints do not align with their parents’ viewpoints or religious beliefs, which is when things become controversial.  


5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Antoinette,

    It is interesting as we think of our own experiences with bullying, how it affects our perspective as teachers in a situation in which we observe a bullying situation. When I read about the situation in which you had to contact a student’s parents regarding his/or her bullying behavior in your classroom, I was remind that it is not only our students that need to be educated on bullying issues, but also parents. We come to a dead end, in regard to addressing and resolving bullying issues, if the parent does not agree and support our perspective.

    Thoughts began swirling about how to approach parent education. In the same way many schools have “Meet the Teacher” night, or an open house at the beginning of the school year; schools should also have some sort of school policies and procedures workshop at the beginning of the year in which they address how they handle issues such as bullying, among other necessary policies. Or perhaps, a stand alone workshop on bullying for students and families. However, I can only imagine, how an event such as this could become heated if the floor was opened up for discussion, as many parents and students feel victim of bullying attacks and may want to use this opportunity to put a spotlight on their own personal experiences against another parent or student in the school.

    A school needs to be strategic in how they choose to communicate their beliefs and policies. The expectations should be laid out with no room for objection, at least in an open forum, as well as the definition of what bullying is needs to be made clear. What does a bully situation look like in the cafeteria? What does a bullying situation look like at recess? In the classroom? Etc.. All of these questions should be addressed with examples, so parents are aware of what is considered bullying. Just the other day, I had a student asked me if she was a bully, because she has had some friends or other adults in the building address her as a bully previously. I had to explain to her, that bullying just does not mean physically hurting someone or a group of people; but it can also mean using emotions and mental manipulation to control or belittle someone else. This student did not realize that bullying was anything more that beating someone up on the playground. No wonder, when other students or adults address her about this behavior, she does not change. In fact she thinks it is ridiculous that she is even being talked to about bullying. Until now, she did not even fully understand what bullying was. In the same way, parents who are not of full understanding on the scope of bullying behavior may easily disagree with a teacher if their child is being address as a bully. I believe schools need to do a better job educating students and parents on bullying issues. Only then, when all members of the school community are of agreement on the concepts and policies associated with bullying, will true progress be made in effort to eliminate this behavior.

    Thank you for sharing your perspectives and experiences with bullying personally, and professionally. It caused me to think and rethink about my own practices.

    Sincerely,
    Carole Harkins

    P.S. I see that you are getting married on Mackinac Island in July, I am getting married on the island June 15th!! I would love to chat sometime about where you are getting married, and how far you are in planning. I have a lot of things to figure out yet, like flowers, cake, hair… and I have no idea where to start. Email me (caroleann86@gmail.com ) or find me on Facebook (Carole Ann Amlotte) and hopefully we can talk wedding soon! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Antoinette,

    Thank you for your post. This is a very courageous post. I was never bullied too badly in middle school, but I know I had a really negative self-image at points. At times, I felt unlovable. School can totally amplify those feelings if we are not careful. Sharing your own story is incredibly powerful and brave. Thank you!

    You develop a very interesting theory here. That we have moved from a culture of physical aggression and bullying to one of discursive/verbal bullying. That thought had never crossed my mind! But I can see some real truth in it. It's true, when I was a kid, you might get pushed around some. You figured out what to do. It was horrifying, but I can only imagine the mental anguish that constant verbal bullying causes. As Carole so rightly notes, this push to manipulate and control others is a form of bullying that sometimes goes unrecognized.

    How did we get here? When did we become a "mean girls" society? I sometimes wonder if our society has lost touch with physical work, and has become more politically correct, if our aggression (which I think is an unavoidable part of being human) now gets funneled out in these (perhaps) more hurtful ways. What can we as teachers do?

    One theory is that we actually need more sports and more spaces to let energy and aggression out in pluralistic spaces. If I don't like you, and we don't get much gym or recess time together, might my feelings come out in speech acts?

    This is all just speculation, but I am fascinated by what you suggest.

    I've noticed so many parents obsessed with their very young kids "getting ahead." Slower peers are like the roadkill in their journey to wealth and career success. That is very sad to me. Some parents have forgotten that schools are places to learn to live with all types of people that are important to our society and our world. I agree that they need to see that emotional abuse and aggression towards others less fortunate than themselves is abusive and bullying behavior.

    Thanks for your post!

    Kyle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Antoinette,

    I have been trying to post this to you for the past day. I finally realized that I needed to break my post into two. Sorry for the delay.

    Part I
    Hi Antoinette,

    Thank you for sharing your story. I hardly know anyone that has come through middle school unscathed, myself included. I appreciate you reminding us that bullying takes on many forms and is not particular to any one group of children. This is an issue that affects us all and we do a real disservice to our students to lose sight of that. Early or late entrances to puberty, especially for girls, can be used a fodder for insults as much as an accent, clothing, or sexuality.

    I agree that we have an obligation to take our students’ words seriously and not allow bullying to be labeled as “just playing around.” You bring up some very real obstacles that teachers face in dealing both with parents and being forced to chose what’s right and what will keep you employed. I think as far as parents go, there is little to be done to change their minds if they do not believe their child is bullying others. Instead of being responsible for how they think, we should chose to focus on your idea of maintaining a safe learning environment. If they aren’t comfortable hearing the word “bully” then, okay. We can talk about name-calling, or teasing, or violence, or any of the other acts the brought about the conversation about their child’s behavior in the first place.

    The job security is a much larger and systemic issue as it deals with people within the sphere of education who are silent for the hope of avoiding something “controversial”. In your school this not only can cost teachers their job (and let’s face it, none of us are in the classroom because we needed a job, but rather because we NEED TO TEACH), but also risks adding to the rising statistics discussed by Joel Sterns.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Part II:
    I think we need to avoid playing into hysterics caused by defining what is a “controversial issue” and find real and meaningful ways to weave information into our curriculum. Silin argues that the mere avoidance of comprehensive HIV/AIDS in elementary curriculum perpetuates a harmful stereotype that HIV/AIDS is taboo. However, as we later read in the same article, discussing a topic strictly for a particular purpose (ie: to identify what not to do) alienates members of this community while also preventing students from connecting to the larger picture.

    I appreciate Stephen Thorton for proposing social studies as a way to continue to spread awareness of marginalized groups. Learning about contributions of LBGT people and cultures allows students the opportunity of gaining a larger context for these issues. However, this approach is also not without faults. I am a history teacher and while I agreed with much of Thorton’s argument, I still found myself questioning how many people would approach implementing his advice. It’s not enough just to list famous people and mention, “Oh, and they were gay” just like it isn’t enough to list how you can avoid AIDS. Students need exposure to the social, political, economic, and any other perspective that would help them understand how a disease or a person’s sexuality fits into the world around them.

    In a few weeks I am teaching a unit on AIDS for my 8th grade Cultural Geography course. Despite living in the Democratic Republic of Congo, a nation with a rising rate of affected citizens, my students know very little about how AIDS exists outside of health class. My goal is to discuss how geo-political factors influence this disease, but I know I am treading on thin ice. Congo isn’t as strict about anti-homosexuality laws as say our neighbor Uganda, but it is not anywhere near socially acceptable. We also have a large number of devout Muslim and Christian parents in our community. I hope that approaching a subject in a scholarly manner will avoid any “controversy” but I also know that I will need to run my lesson plans by my principal beforehand-which grates me beyond belief.

    Doing this reminds me again of the collaborative nature of curriculum. It is imperative that educators come together and decide how to bring these issues into our classrooms. And for the sake, and in some cases the very lives of our students, these decisions need to happen now.

    ReplyDelete